3.19.2003

If someone offered me a new gun for free, would I take it?

I wouldn't. Even if I could legally posesss it, get it registered, licensed, whatever... It would have the power to change me somehow, to some degree, and probably not in a good way. And logistics... where to keep it would be a big problem. I couldn't carry it around in my purse. I couldn't hide where I live. I'd be afraid someone would accidently stumble upon it and freak out, or do worse with it. Anyhow, the main purpose of having it would be to use it to defend myself in situations in which my life or the lives of loved ones are in danger, so it'd be half as useful at home. I couldn't keep it in the glove compartment or the trunk of my car. Well, I guess I could if I always made sure not to also have more than a pound of marijuana in my car... and to remove it everytime I get my car serviced. Otherwise, it'd be an arrest or an accident waiting to happen.

If I had a gun, would I tell anyone? Probably not. If it slipped out that I had one, the next thing I know, everyone knows. No one wants to be my enemy... or my friend, for that matter. They'd all have fake, nervous smiles around me all the time. "Damnit, I got 2 aces. Gotta fold again and let her win this hand... every hand..."

I'd go to the shooting range, though. Try out the real thing at least once...