3.12.2003

I first met a gay person when I think I was in fourth or fifth grade. If I remember correctly, his name was Peter. I kinda sorta remember what he looked like.

My dad had a Christian BBS (Bulletin Board Service, for those of you who lived after those times), and he met and befriended Peter through it. One day, dad invited Peter over for lunch with us. I still remember how tense the rest of us were... mom, bro, and I. I remember asking, "Would it be safe to shake his hand?" Mom looked hesitant. Dad said it should be alright. Then, of course, the big question... "Is he going to go to hell because he is gay?" Both parents said yes.

My dad remained friends with Peter and continued to talk to him about spiritual matters up until he died of AIDS a year or so later. My dad continues to make friends of all types through internet discussion boards.