3.12.2003

Every now and then, I'm surprised at how homophobic America still seems to be. I watch TV, and there seem to be homophobic undertones all over the channels. News media presents itself as non-conservative (doesn't it?), yet comes across as homophobic. Have you noticed that? Perhaps there isn't even an attempt to hide the homophobia.

For most of my life, I've taken the fairly liberal environment of the SF Bay Area for granted... didn't realize how lucky I am to have been born and raised here. I'm guessing that SF is one of top five least homophobic cities in the US. In comparison, everywhere else seems grossly homophobic... though that's just my extrapolation since I haven't been able to travel much.

I've only been to one other non-Cali metro area. New York City. While there, I got a pretty strong feeling that the people there are still quite sadly stuck in a very Old World environment and mentality, with Old World ideals. They seem homophobic. People I know who were born and raised there seem doomed to be hopelessly homophobic for life, even after they move here. If NYC is that homophobic, how much moreso the cities in between the coasts. It becomes increasingly apparent to me that I could never live for long in NYC or elsewhere similarly unprogressive...

I can't stand homophobia. I am quite defensive when I sense it, even though I'm not gay and I don't have any gay friends. I would love to have a gay friend (I imagine a lot of people would). I don't get out enough to meet any.