3.30.2003

I didn't accomplish much up in Tahoe this weekend. I meant to gamble, and I meant to snowboard. I did neither.

I'm still not able to gamble. I thought I'd be able to this time, since I've been playing poker. But I just couldn't do it. I stood and watched all my friends lose a lot of money in a short amount of time playing blackjack and craps. Watching people lose money doesn't bother me like it used to. Maybe next time I'll try to drop some money in the poker room. Looks like a slower bleed in there.

I was just a little bit disappointed that I didn't get to snowboard this time. I'll go in two weeks or so... when the snow is even crappier. That'll teach me not to buy a Tahoe card next year.

While on the way up and down, the four of us in the car played a movie/actor game. The first person names an actor, and the next person must name a movie that the actor was in as well as another actor in the same movie. The person after that person must do the same. Movies and actors can't be used more than once. You can pass if you can't answer. I was passing 90% of the time. I always suck at games that involve knowledge of facts from the 70s, 80s, and 90s. Hell, I suck at all games that involve knowledge of general, even significant, facts prior to all years before the later-90s.

Whenever I play these games, I mourn the fact that my brother and I spent our entire childhoods in what now seems like a bomb shelter. Our parents did their best not to let the outside world make any marks on our impressionable little minds. As a result, I was utterly clueless about pop culture until I was able to drive... and then I was less than utterly clueless, but still pitifully clueless. I wasn't in the habit of keeping up with and remembering such things, and it was hard to start.

Makes me wonder what was occupying my mind during all of this, while all these facts were being created and presented... Delusions? I know so fucking little. So what should I do about that now? Try to learn all the facts that everyone else knows? Would knowing all those things make me a better person?

So while the guys were chatting away the weekend, I spent a lot of it within my own mind... which isn't unusual.