2.10.2003

Over the weekend, I watched an episode of MTV's "True Life: I Have a Phobia." One of the guys on the show supposedly had a fear of approaching and talking to women in person. I don't think what he had could really be called a phobia. He just seemed to be fearful of rejection by women and avoidant of awkward moments with them. The guy went to a psychologist or psychiatrist (what's the difference between the two?) for help, but even afterwards, he continued to have the problem.

I feel as if I, too, have difficulties with talking to women, though not to the same degree as the poor guy in the show. It's easier to talk to them when they approach me first, but that doesn't happen regularly. Even when a conversation starts up, it's hard work to carry it on past a couple of words... There just never seems to be enough interest on at least one side to continue on, or they don't seem to have much to say that is of interest to me.

Sometimes I feel so secondary with them... as if they'd settle for talking to me just until they spot a guy to talk to.

It's not easy to be completely myself around women. I feel as if I've gotta tread lightly with them, pick my words carefully, be ultra-sensitive... Like the guy on the show, I fear that they will judge me too quickly, maybe even before I say anything. So most of the time I just avoid them. I'd rather not talk to them than try to and feel uncomfortable. I hate the awkward silences.

I'm not sure if it's worth the effort to try to change, to learn how to interact with women more comfortably and successfully in person. I mean, what am I missing, if anything?