2.04.2003

For as much as I don't do drugs, I sure do think about them a lot.

I can't seem to help it.

It's always a topic of interest and shows up everywhere in movies, in TV specials, in the fabric of certain types of music, among the people I know and meet. At the mention of drugs, my ears perk up, my eyes light up. I like to hear about addiction and reasons for it, about successfully recovering addicts, about destroyed lives, about the highs and the horrible side effects, about the people who've died, about those who will never, ever be able to quit... I'm fascinated and repulsed at the same time.

Drugs are not just for losers, or the unhappy, the ignorant, or the down-n-out. No matter how wonderful life is for me, I believe there still exists a greater amount of pleasure and joy, available only through some drugs.

But there's a lot I wouldn't do, and my reasons are my own.

For as much as I think about drugs, I've been quite successful in not turning into a junkie.