12.11.2002

I actually have a hard time accepting gifts... unless I know or feel as if receipt of the gift is a mutually beneficial transaction. If I feel the giver gets as much out of giving me the present as I do receiving it, I can receive it gracefully and gratefully. I've been lucky...

But otherwise, I have a hard time. I hate owing people. I can't be bought. Most of the time, I feel as if I can't pay people back the way they'd want me to... I can't give them what they'd want in return for their gifts. My time, my money, my things... I don't have much of those. I have my care and concern... but people don't always know or value that. Sometimes I feel as if my body is my only would-be, fast-selling, in-demand commodity...

I think the hardest thing for me to give in return for gifts and favors is my in-person time. For whatever reason, it's always been hard to give that up...