9.20.2002

Dear Old Friend,

How are you doing? It's been a long time since I've written, and I sincerely apologize for that. I've been preoccupied with a few things as of late, but I've found a moment to breathe and would love to catch up with you...

Sounds like you've got a fine gig going on at your new house. Congrats! All that hard work sure paid off, didn't it? How do you like the neighborhood? How's John adjusting to the new job? And little Jane? Is she starting kindergarten yet? I can't believe it's already been four years. You gotta send me new pictures.

My parents are doing well, thanks for asking. Relatively healthy and happy. I visit them a little more often now. They're still only a half an hour away, but you know how it is... how it's always been. Whenever I see them, I can sense their disappointment, their opinion that I'm doing the wrong things with my life. They will always believe that, as long as I refuse to join them in surrendering my mind and heart over to God. I'm not going pretend that I'm a Christian, that all their efforts over the last 25+ years to bring me to repentence have been fruitful... and I won't go through the motions, such as dropping in on church services every now and then, just to give them false hope of seeing me in Heaven someday.

But I love them terribly, and I will at least someday give them the grandchild they're so looking foward to.

All in all, I myself have been doing pretty well too. Healthy and happy as well. Continuing to take steps towards a squeaky clean bill of health, and making progress in the way of happiness. I honestly believe that what I'm doing now is right for me. I believe that as long as I'm able to justify to myself the things I do, which in the long and short run bring me more lasting good than bad, I'm doing what's right for me, and I will not regret...

Financially and job-wise, I'm faring better. Mainly because my attitude about both has changed. I've accepted that a successful career won't complete me, just as an ordinary, template relationship with an ordinary, template partner wouldn't... so looking/finding either or both isn't on the top of my current list of things-to-do.

I live in a new place now. I'm comfortable with my own room in a house that I share with four others, who I still hardly know though I've lived with them for about two months. What's important to me is that I have space where I want it, and I do. I've remained single by choice since the end of my last relationship; I now make 99% of my decisions based on what seems best for just myself. All that I didn't want out of my past relationships has been successfully nixed. All that I liked, I still have... without the negatives of a relationship.

I spend most of my time away from home with a close friend, the type of friend I've never had in the past, the type of closeness that I've needed and subconsiously wanted for most of my life... Said friend and I don't have a conventional friendship. It transcends definitions and labels that people would readily give it. It won't be cheapened and limited by those definitions and labels. Itself doesn't cheapen or limit me. It builds me up, strengthens me, keeps me believing in the good and the real... There is no bad end in sight. None that I predict or expect.

I wholeheartedly appreciate the wonderful things life decides to throw my way at random (or perhaps not so randomly). I will keep them close for however long I can have them...

Looking into the future, I continue to carry with me an inkling of hope of finding the Truth. In the meantime, the scenery improves... The sun is brighter, the air is warmer, the grass is greener, the water bluer than ever before. Especially here in Cali. :)

Well, I hope things are likewise going well for you, and I look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Cheers,

Jennie

(P.S. "Old Friend" is any of you who I'm losing touch with, or haven't had a real conversation withi in awhile...)