9.15.2002

The last time I tried composing songs and jamming tunes on my keyboard was back in college. I discovered very quickly how difficult it is to do. To be musically creative. To be original. It's such a gift.

I grew up listening to not much more than classical and Christian music, the only types of music my parents allowed me to listen to. It wasn't until, in HS, I got my driver's license, (a car, and some freedom) that I was able to listen to other genres of music. Though I enjoyed many other genres, they simply didn't come out of me when I attempted creating my own songs on the keyboard. All that came out sounded simplistic-asian-lovesong-ish or christian-praise-and-worship-ish (to my dismay/horror), unintentionally tinged with longing... and I tended to linger within the minor keys. I gave up.

My dad is an avid music lover. His dad before him was was, and his brothers are as well. Music lovers and musicians. This love of music and musicianship may be the biggest thing my dad passed down to me. Dad has always believed I also have his creativity... I want to believe him.

Creativity could save me...