8.12.2005

During our weekly poker gatherings last night, the other three females - one of whom is already married, and the others are engaged - were gathered around a few bridal magazines, discussing this and that about weddings. As the token uncommitted female, I didn't want to just add myself to their conversation.

I didn't want to appear too interested or feel awkward, being the odd one out, and I don't have anything to contribute anyway. With 6 engaged people in the group, I'm going to have to get used to hearing so much talk about the upcoming weddings because, it'll only get worse as their Big Days approach.

I can't help feeling like I'm missing out. When/if I get engaged, who would I have to have to talk to and compare notes with about my wedding? They'll all be married by then, possibly bonding together over talk about kids. But that's actually not what I'm really apprehensive about.

My biggest concern is that any one or more of the currently engaged couples just happens to pick the same color scheme that *I* want for my wedding... that I've wanted since I was a child. Oh, don't get the wrong idea. I have not been pre-maturely making any wedding plans. The one thing I have thought about and have been almost certain about for awhile is the color scheme that I must have. And regarding this, I would hate to be trumped!

I definitely don't want to considered the biter, when in actuality, I'd chosen my colors out (too far) in advance, possibly even before they picked theirs. Therefore, I've decided to state, for the record, what colors those are now... so that there be no mistake about whose idea and plan it was first to have those colors for their wedding.

Red and pink. Of course.

Red roses, pink peonies, and white hydrangeas. So beautiful. Pink bridesmaid dresses, lovely shades of magenta to pale pink. My heart warms just visualizing the colors in my head. Red was my favorite color when I was a child, ever since I was able to speak. Pink was a close second, and within the last couple of years has taken over the spot of most beloved color.

Red and pink are popular colors for weddings. I know it is unreasonable to expect none of my friends to select those colors, or to expect them to avoid them for my sake. And I suppose I should have thunder before I concern myself about it being stolen.

It's just that I haven't been a princess in over 20 years...