8.09.2005

I changed jobs in January, but I've been wary about mentioning anything about my new workplace here.

I work at a company that provides email marketing services. We assist our customers in setting up and sending out emails. I won't say much else about what I do in my position, or how I feel about the work that I do (or don't do).

One of the benefits of working here is the breakroom. Every Friday we order food, to be delivered the following Monday, from Albertsons.com. Some of the regular items that are always re-ordered are a wide variety of cereals, breads, lunchmeats, cheeses, salads, fruits, snacks, teas and sodas. There is a grocery list on the fridge in the breakroom where employees can anonymously request items that they would like added to the grocery list for the next week.

I abuse the list a little. Usually, there are about 10 items on the grocery list each week, and usually 2-3 of them are requested by me. I always order Yoplait yogurt. Sometimes they sometimes order a different brand, but I'm a food snob and I won't eat it.

I've ordered such things as Hebrew National hot dogs, Easy Mac, Gorton's beer battered fish fillets... oh, I got flak for the fish fillets. Apparently, my non-ethnic co-workers (who are the majority here) get touchy when they smell even a hint of fish.

Two weeks ago, I put Spam on the list. Mind you, not just Spam, but Spam Lite. The Monday after, there were two cans of Spam Lite in the breakroom.

If I got flak for the fish fillets, I got harassed for the Spam. It's been two weeks, and I'm still receiving comments about my Spam. I mean, I already knew, when I put it on the list, that it would generate some buzz... in the light of what our company does for a living. But you know what I think? As the saying goes, if you dish it out, you've got to be able to take it as well!

Now have I said enough yet to get myself fired? If I get fired for having said anything remotely negative about where I work, I would be surprised. But if I get fired for ordering a can of Spam, I'd be shocked out of my gourd. That would be an outrage!

Leave me and my Spam alone!