3.22.2004

We watched Annie Hall last night. I didn't think I would like the movie 'cuz it's "old", but I did.

But what's up with people seeing California as a state full of health nuts? Was that just back in the 70s and 80s? Or just the 70s and 80s in LA? I never picked up on that. Anything that happened around here at that time I thought was an America-wide phenomenon. Childhood ignorance.

I didn't see us as health nuts or happy-go-lucky weirdos or airheaded valley people who played all day in the sun. Back then, I hardly ever wondered about what people from other states thought about California. I hardly ever thought about people from other states period. I had cousins living in NYC, and before they moved out here, they imagined the whole state was a warm beach full of beautiful blonde women.

There's a line in the movie that Annie says to Alvy while they're sitting outside in the sun at a health food eatery: "Alvy, you're incapable of enjoying life, you know that? I mean you're like New York City." That is precisely how I felt about my New York City and my ex.