9.17.2003

OK. I'll tell you what happened.

Things started this weekend when Elisa refused to let Joe move in his couch into the living room at the time that we all moved upstairs. He's had to keep at his gf's house since he moved in with Elisa a few months before I moved in. "What's this woman paying that allows her to take over the entire living room and kitchen, in addition to the master bedroom?"

So Joe checked with the property people on Monday, and found out from them that our total rent is $1625, which is $70 cheaper than Elisa had intially told him when he moved in. We are month-to-month, not on a lease. Joe and I have been paying $550 for each of our small rooms and a shared bathroom.

$1625 means that Elisa has been paying less than we are! And she'd lied about the total rent from the outset so that we'd think she was paying more! Even if there is a chance that she hadn't lied at the outset, and the rent had been lowered since, she'd been making money off us all this time.

So my hunch that I've been paying more for my room than it's worth was, in fact, correct. And thinking that I had good roommates was, sadly, incorrect.

If Elisa's paying only $525, Joe and I should definitely have our say in what of ours gets to be in the living room and elsewhere in the apartment. Via email, Joe referred to her plethora of stuff that's overflowing into the area outside our front door as an eyesore. So we had a meeting that night to discuss 1) re-adjusting the rent splits so that they're fair, and 2) issues we had with our entitled space.

Even before the meeting, via email, Elisa hinted to Joe that if he's not happy with the way things are now, he could pack his bags. And that set the tone of the rest of the night.

About the rent, Elisa refused to budge. And her reason? "I don't like you, Joe... And I don't want to live with you anymore." That was a sudden revelation to Joe and me. And her supporting reasons were equally preposterous. I won't repeat them here, though they were quite irrational and unsound and therefore somewhat entertaining, because they are also, as Joe says, red herrings.

Elisa would not adjust Joe's rent because she doesn't like him. And she would not adjust my rent because she doesn't like Joe. How fair is that?! I never openly took his side! I'm on my own side! And she's a wacko woman!

Nothing else to do but give my 30-day notice yesterday. Can't live there under these types of conditions. Jacked up rent splits. Super highly sensitive, dishonest, unreasonable woman. Fueding roommates. Eyesores and red herrings and a black pot and the not-as-black tea kettle.

I'll miss the puppies.