5.19.2003

I watched The Godfather last nite on DVD... another movie I hadn't seen until now. Very engrossing, very powerful movie. When it was over, I was speechless. I'd just watched a great movie... and I felt sad. I was cranky and sad and speechless.

I was very sad for all the women in the movie. There were but a few. And they were disfigured, beaten, lied to, cheated on, abandoned, frequently told to shut up, killed, taken advantage of, bullied... I felt for the women, and then I cried for the women.

I've haven't seen such a chilling domestic abuse scene on film in a long time. I can't really remember the last time I even saw one that made me hurt on the inside as much. Maybe it's the fact that Carlo used his belt on Connie... and I could feel the sting of each heavy whip, the same sting I felt by a belt a couple times when I was young.

Or maybe it was the way that Michael Corleone spoke to Kay, slamming his hand down on the desk for emphasis. "Enough!" "My business is my business!" ...the same manner and tone I used to see and hear at home.