2.05.2004

I got another work contract extension for three months. Come May, I'll be able to say I've been dating this position for three years. Pass May, and I'll surpass the length of my longest boyfriend relationship ever.

I've managed to make a few friends among the non-engineers here at the Fremont office. They keep me smiling and connecting with other human beings when I most need it, during the drudgery of the workweek. We're in our 20s, 30s, and 40s, and they're all guys (unsurprisingly), but that doesn't seem to get in the way of relating and acting downright silly sometimes, as necessary. We've already made plans for the four of us to go on a wild, MTV-Road-Rules-inspired road trip, form a rock band, start our own novel reality shows, open up a restaurant (cafe/soup kitchen/massage parlour), buy a four-bedroom condo with our pooled savings.

Doug was out all day Tuesday running errands, and I feared he'd quit or gotten fired. The next day I told him he should tell me years in advance before he quits, so I can be prepared for the emotional repercussions of losing a coworker-friend. He gave me his year's notice, and I gave him mine. We plan to be out of here in a year... in a month... in weeks... so many plans...

My latest plan is to look more seriously into becoming a technical writer. It's possibly the least amount of stretch from what I'm doing right now at work. Writing, for which I have both love and hate, might just turn into the hand that feeds me. I'd like to stay in the IT industry and keep a desk job. I loathe the day when I'm not able to spend at least 8 hours a day on the internet and on IM.

At the same time, I might not mind going on all-expenses-paid business trips every now and then. Never been on one. It's quite possible that I don't go on a single one in my life. Babe's on one now. He satisfies me like no other man before him could. I don't envy him for getting to spend three days in Minnesota. I'm just jealous that he has more opportunities to drink than I do.

I've thought about trying sales, since sales skills seem to have great value in both professional and personal life. And I'd have a higher chance of travelling on the job. A couple of weeks ago, I happened to mention my interest in sales to a friend, who quickly invited me out to a NAAAP meeting. The NAAAP committee she's in solicits sponsorships from companies in the Bay Area for a convention in August. I attended only one meeting.

It's hard to give up my time for something that I'm not truly jazzed about, even if it could give me sales experience and a higher quality network. If NAAAP was an organization aiding underprivileged kids, I'd be much more interested in taking time out of my TiVo schedule to volunteer. Asian American issues. Pass...

Speaking of kids and time... Yesterday, one of my coworkers asked me to come visit his little girl, Shruti, who he says has been asking about me (I can't help being suspicious). I said I couldn't do it this week, but maybe next week. Maybe never. This wasn't the first time he invited me over. How does one say no to this kind of request? If I go, I'll just open myself up to being invited over again and again. And though the kid is cute, I'm really not that interested. I don't have room in my heart for privileged kids, and I have a whole season of 24 to watch...