1.27.2003

Buying a house. Should I be thinking about it? Well, I've already been thinking about it for the last two weeks.

I thought about it seriously in the first year or so after I got out of college. Ah, so full of promise and so full of dreams. I planned to buy a house for my parents to live in. For me to live in later on, when they are old, and/or when they are no more. A house for mom. The kind of house I thought she always wanted... that dad never bought her. A nice big one amidst other nice big ones... with more than one story, with a sprawling, green lawn, with furniture that matches, with a spacious kitchen, fitted with all-new, modern appliances...

Cut to three and a half years later. I won't be able to put a downpayment on a tiny little house for another 10 years or so. And dad's business has picked up so that if he can get himself and mom a better house on his own.

So should I still be thinking about buying a house? Because it's a financially smart thing to do?

Yeah, because of that... and because I don't feel like playing a guts game, holding on to the "i-will-find-and-marry-the-perfect-rich-man-who-owns-a-house" card.

I don't envy about guys in this matter... I'd hate to be an amazing guy who's trying to woo or keep an amazing girl, but who has no money or means to buy a house and therefore gets shafted... or to be respected less by society in general because can't afford to own the roof over his head.