12.17.2002

Last Friday, we had a little Christmas Party (lunch and games) here at Sierra Atlantic. My Indian co-workers brought their family members. They sure do adore their children. It's safe to assume that all of the Indian men at this company are married... or will have wives before they hit 30, though I can't really tell how old any of them are...

Anyhow, it was announced that there were appreciation gifts for all of the employees awaiting pickup in HR. 'Course I assumed there wasn't one for me, since I'm a contractor. Then yesterday, one of the HR guys told me there's still an envelope waiting for me, and that I should pick it up the next day.

I picked it up just now. I got $50! Season's Greetings and Best Wishes...

I'm touched, and I'm not being sarcastic or facetious. That's much more than I expected. (I didn't expect anything.) That's more than I've ever gotten from an employer. I feel believed-in and appreciated. I feel motivated to work diligently and conscientiously, and not to goof off here at work all day when my manager's not in. (eh, well... maybe not so much the latter...)

Sometimes nothing says more than a monetary gift. :P