6.16.2003

Okay... On my way home from work today, an Asian toll booth guy tried to pick up on me. I guess I deserved it for wondering about toll booth people so much.

Before he asked me for my name and phone number, he asked, "Have I met you before?" Well duh. I probably drove through his toll booth once or twice before, though not recently and not in my immediately accessible memory. 'Course I didn't give him my number, but told him my name, hoping he'd hurry up with my change.

When he said his name is Kenny, I had a flash of deja vu... that instant of recognition. I swear this same guy asked me for my phone number many months back, which leads me to wonder how many hundreds or thousands of Asian women the dude hits on a day.

He probably fantasizes that one of these days, one of these women would actually give him her number or give him a call. Maybe one of these days he'll ask the wrong woman who'll file a complaint. Not this woman.

He insisted on giving me his phone number on a blank piece of toll receipt paper, and I accepted it since he hadn't given my change yet. I quickly looked behind me to make sure there was no one waiting and watching. No cars were in queue.

"Do you speak Chinese?" he asked before I took off. I said no and saw a little bit of disappointment on his face. GOOD. Be discouraged. He wanted to make sure... "Just a little bit?"

"No not at all. Have a nice day."