9.25.2002

I hate talking on the phone. It's such an inferior, inefficent way of communicating. Some people are never on IM, or they're inaccessible within a reasonable/expected timeframe via email... and you just gotta put the damn plastic thingy to your ear and dial their digits if you need something from them right away.

I never know what to look at while I'm talking on the phone. The auditory is coming in, but where are the complementary visuals? Watching TV or surfing the internet while on the phone is just plain rude, and hard to do without neglecting the caller. If I'm driving, no duh I gotta look at the road. But I'd much rather be enjoying the drive, holding the stick and the wheel while listening to loud, thumpin music...

But what makes phone calls so bad is that, when on the phone, most people seem to suffer from severe cases of verbal diarrhea. Minutes turn into hours. Blah, blah, blah... The same shit is dished out over and over. It's as if people can't remember they've just given me the same information in previous sentences, just in slightly different words.

Wanna talk? Set up a meal with me over a 2-minute-max phone call...