5.02.2003

Now I understand how it feels to have a lucky streak during a nite of playing cards.

I'd watch other people go on rolls, be on fire all nite... and I'd feel bitter about it, horrible hand after horrible hand. I wasn't quiet or subtle about my displeasure over their fortune at the expense of my misfortune, even though (I know, I know) it's just a game.

I guess I was bothered 'cuz I felt that other people's lucky hands distort their view and other people's views, including mine, of how well they and I play. Sometimes other people's luck would make me feel as if I wasn't playing as smart. I imagined the lucky thought they were pretty darn skillful, moreso than lucky... and that their luck was going to their heads. Sometimes they'd talk cocky, or play with a condescending arrogance that pissed me off.

I never really thought the luck would eventually come around to me, though chances are it hits every person who plays often enough every so often. I got crazy lucky last nite, so now I know how it really feels. It was a big rush. It was hard to resist feeling that I was the one controlling the game, not my luck. It was a whole 'nother game with chip power and pot-limit betting (which is less limited than how we usually play).

My streak lasted about 6 hours, until 5am and through the last hand. Though I was dog tired, I couldn't go to sleep on my first lucky break of the season. I don't expect it come happen again soon. I'm betting that it's when you don't expect something that it happens...