10.13.2002

We do the same things every Sunday when I visit my parents. I arrive at home just as they are returning from church, and we drive out for dim sum in Pleasanton.

When they aren't talking about God and church, my parents have a lot of interesting and amusing things to say. The family interaction and reaction to what's brought up is entertaining as well. Best are the comical anecdotes about family friends or random folk such as dad's customers. The way our family views and analyzes people makes us laugh. That is the kind of humor that I am used to. Lately, I've been hearing a lot about our neighbors... the ornery Wadsworths on the left, Jeff the drugdealer next door, John the old Mexican two doors down, Megumi down the street, etc.

Today, dad tells me that this past week he received a call from Mike (boyfriend number two, circa 1993-4). Mike has kept in regular contact with dad and mom over the years, though I stopped keeping in touch with him years ago. Mike is the one ex my dad actually befriended, though dad still wasn't fond of the fact that I was going out with Mike (mainly 'cuz dad didn't trust me dating then). Dad had given Mike his first job at Pro Image. Mike has always been very appreciative and respectful with dad, and sweet and charming with mom. Anyhow... the news which Mike called dad about is that he now has a fiance. Another one of my ex's is going down that path... I'm glad for Mike. He deserves all the happiness he can find for himself.

At home on the couch, mom updates me about her PT sessions and dutifully reminds me that my ticking bio clock won't wait for me to "be ready"... and that therefore, settling down with a "responsible, practical man who can cook" and giving her a couple grandchildren are things I should be doing soon or at least looking into now... "before all the good ones are taken," she says. Ugh. I explain to her that as I get older, I'll simply go for younger and younger. She doesn't think that's a good idea. I promise her, then, that I will do whatever must be done before I disintegrate. I reassure her that, despite my wish to be independent now, I won't pass up a good thing if/when I come across it. She's not convinced. So I say I don't want a responsible, practical man if all he is is responsible and practical. I want someone who shares my passions. She says I shouldn't end up with someone like myself; it'd be best to find someone who balances me out. I try to tell mom about the necessity for that special/unique-connection. She frowns, doesn't seem to understand, and calls me too idealistic. I, the one who not so long ago used to tell others they are too idealistic... since when have I been? Maybe may-this-year-ish? "No... What's missing is God," she concludes... and that is when I start tuning out and fall asleep.